So, now that we’ve made our introductions, let’s talk about my favorite weekday workout. This blog is all about the simple things you can do throughout your week to keep you healthy and in shape (or help you get there), so it’s only fitting that I would share my “Quick and Dirty” weekday solution. Now, I know not everyone has a gym, or an at home elliptical/treadmill, so I’ll include a modified version as well. My husband timed this recently, and it took him 42 minutes from putting on workout clothes, walking to the gym, doing the workout, walking back home, and showering. 42 minutes is quite efficient for all of that, so trust me when I say this thing is a breeze.
A few years ago, when we were spending some time out west and doing A LOT of hiking, the hubs and I came up with motto when choosing which hike to do next: “LOW effort, HIGH reward.” You see, we’d be on one too many strenuous 10 mile hikes that led to a less than spectacular view. For that amount effort, you expect to be rewarded. Trust me when I say it’s HIGHLY disappointing when you’re not. From that point forward, we decided to think smarter, and not harder when it comes to our hikes and our workouts. When we finally settled down again and had access to a regular gym, we came up with this workout to keep it simple and spend the least amount of time possible in our tiny condo community gym (that thing is anything but motivating).
Quick gym workout:
- Walk into your gym
- Do 3 reps of 3 different strength exercises w/ little recuperation and stretching in between
- 2 miles on the treadmill/elliptical in less than 20 minutes incorporating interval training (10 minute miles is achievable if you’re intervals are between 5.5-7.0 mph)
Our gym is a 5 minute walk from our condo, so it may take you a bit more time if you have to factor in driving. That being said, we timed this workout from start (getting dressed) to finish (showered) and it averages about 42 minutes TOTAL. That’s downright spectacular if you ask me. 42 minutes and DONE.
For those of you who don’t have access to a gym, here is your outdoor workout:
- Head outside Do a quick 5 minute walking warm up to get your muscles loosened
- Transition from your walk to a 20 minute interval run (I currently use THIS app to do my outdoor intervals). My base pace is 5.0 mph, my push pace is 6.0 mph, and my all out pace is 7.0-7.5 mph. You can of course change this up and do a mix of speed-walking/jogging if you’re not quite up to running the entire thing. The entire point is that we’re getting your heart-rate up to it’s max, and then bringing it back down to burn the most calories possible during your workout.
- When you get home do 3 sets of the following: 10 pushups, 10 squats, 10 lunges. After your 3rd set, do 3 minutes of abs.
- VOILA, you’re done! This modified version shouldn’t take you much longer than the gym workout (unless driving to a running location is involved).
Now you know my “quick and dirty” weekday workout. What’s your go-to workout on days when you’re limited on time/energy/motivation?